Date: Sunday, March 8
Time: Meet at the carpooling location at 7:00 a.m. From there, we will carpooling to the trailhead.
Meeting Location: Meet at 12860 Encinitas Ave. in Sylmar, CA. It is just off the Roxford St. exit of I-5. There is plenty of street parking around the
McDonalds and Dennys on Encinitas Ave.
From there, we will be carpooling to Frazier Park (Frazier Park Mountain Road exit) and then to the parking area at the end of Forest Service Road 9N24 (the parking area for the Mt Pinos Nordic
Base). Be aware that snow conditions and weather could alter our final destination. Chains may be required.
Destination: Mt. Pinos
- Be able to put on and use snow shoes
- Be able to use their hiking poles with snow shoes
- Be able to use the rest step
- Be able to kick step
- Be able to plunge step
- Be able to identify in-balance and out-of-balance positions
- Be able to glissade and use hiking poles to control the glissade
- Be able to regulate temperature by adjusting clothing
- Be able to build an emergency shelter
- Be able to make a snow platform for a tent
- Be able to make a snow anchor for their tents
What to Bring:
- 10 essentials
- Lunch and snacks to eat during the hike
- Topo map (handed out in class)
- Water (at least 2 liters)
- You should have clothing for any conditions (cold, rain, snow, sunny,
etc.) Check the forecast beforehand, but be prepared for anything. It is especially important to have your waterproof layer as we'll be in the snow a lot!
- Waterproof boots
- Ski or trekking poles (with snow baskets)
- Sunglasses (very important)
- Sit pad (to keep your butt warm and dry when sitting on the snow)
- Snow stakes (details in class 7)
- Snowshoes (we will provide at the trailhead)
After the hike is over, we'll all be meeting for an optional post-hike meal at a local Frazier Park restaurant (details to follow on the day) before heading back to the carpool meeting