Date: Saturday and Sunday, February 22 and 23
5:00 a.m. Arrive no later than 5:00 a.m and begin loading buses
5:30 a.m. Buses depart for Joshua Tree
Meeting Location: Park and Ride lot at Crenshaw Blvd. and 120th St. in Hawthorne.
Destination: Indian Cove Group Campground in Joshua Tree National Park
- Be able to set up and stake a tent
- Be able to use various unroped climbing skills
- Use new climbing skills to climb a challenging 3rd class peak
- Practice Leave No Trace principles for desert travel
- Be able to identify terrain features and travel with map and compass
What to Bring:
- Camping equipment: tent, sleeping bag and pad, stove (if you intend to cook)
- Ten essentials
- Indian Cove and Queen Mt maps (combined as demonstrated in class)
- Clipboard and pencil (for nav exercises)
- Food and water for two days (2 gallons recommended)
- Clothes for any weather scenario (wind, rain, etc.). As always, check the weather, but be prepared for anything. Long pants are recommended for both days due to rough rock and sharp
- Leather gloves (for the rock day)
- Delicious food item to share at Saturday's happy hour
- Cooler (bus space is limited, so either bring a very small cooler or try to share with another person)
- A collapsible camp chair for around the fire
- Alcohol is allowed, but be responsible
- Note that trekking poles will be of little use on either day. It's probably best to leave them at home.
On both Saturday and Sunday, once we leave camp in the morning, we will be out and about all day long. You will need to pack everything you need for the day in your daypack.
- Arrive and setup tents in Group Site 7
- Rock climbing/scrambling instruction (helmets will be provided)
- Climb Peak 4377 via Gunsight Notch
- Happy hour
- Dinner and campfire
- Wakeup and breakfast
- Navigation noodle: you will be out all day in 2-4 person teams, returning to camp by 2 p.m.
- Break camp and pack
- Buses depart for LA at approximately 3 p.m.