Date: Friday, Saturday and Sunday, March 3-5, 2023
6:15 a.m. Begin loading buses
7:00 a.m. Buses depart for Bishop
Meeting Location: Porter Ranch Park 'n Ride lot, just off the 118 freeway at the Porter Ranch Drive exit.
Destination: South Lake area.
- Be able to set up a tent in the snow
- Be able to build a snow cave
- Attain a sense of accomplishment by using all skills on a High Sierra backpack
What to Bring:
Again, you will be loading everything into the cargo hold of a bus. Please pack to make it easy to load/unload. DO NOT attach your poles to your pack. Mark all your gear with "Your Name" and
On the bus:
- The clothes you'll be hiking in on Friday afternoon. Once we're dropped off, we'll be loading up our packs and hiking.
- Note that this time, you may leave items on the bus over the weekend (though don't leave extremely valuable items).
- You may want to have clean clothes to change into on Sunday afternoon when you get back to the bus.
- Lunch/snacks/beverages for the bus trip.
For snow camp:
- Backpack loaded with everything you'll need for the two nights
- You can bring a separate daypack for Saturday, though most just use there larger backpack
- Ten essentials
- Area map (provided in class)
- Food for Friday night through Sunday mid-day
- Water (enough for the hike in and Friday evening), after that, you'll purify or melt snow, as needed
- Clothes for any weather scenario (wind, rain, etc.). As always, check the weather, but be prepared for anything.
- TWO sleeping pads, at least one should be closed cell foam
- Ski or trekking poles (with snow baskets)
- Delicious food or drink item to share at Saturday's happy hour
- Extra batteries (remember, they'll drain quickly in the cold)