Date: Sunday, January 22, 2023
Time: Meet at the trailhead at 7:45 a.m. We will go over preliminary matters and start hiking by 8:00 a.m. Expect to be on the trail around 8 hours, returning to
the cars around 4:00 p.m.
- Be able to describe the advantages and disadvantages of hiking poles
- Be able to orient the map to True North
- Be able to identify one peak
- Be able to describe the different types of backpacking stoves
- Be aware of your current conditioning level for future hikes
- Attain a feeling of accomplishment by climbing a local peak as a group
What to Bring:
- 10 essentials
- Snacks to eat during the hike – quesadillas will be served by staff
- Topo map (handed out in class)
- Water (at least 2 liters)
- Clipboard, straight edge and pencil (for navigation exercises)
- You should have clothing for any conditions (cold, rain, snow, sunny, etc.) Check the forecast beforehand, but be prepared for anything.
- Comfortable hiking shoes
Destinaton: Inspiration Point and Mt. Muir
Meeting Place: Meet at the park entrance at the corner of Lake Ave and East Loma Alta Drive in Altadena. There is parking on the residential streets in that area.
Check the parking signs/restrictions wherever you park. There are no bathrooms at the trailhead.